Youtube has proven itself to be a great tool for learning how to use Procreate. There are dozens, if not hundreds of different types of tutorials at my fingertips to get me started on this digital art journey. I found one YouTuber who’s recourses were right up my alley. The channel is called Bardot Brush and the curator of the channel, Lisa Bardot has a lot of easy to follow and entertaining tutorials about Procreate.

I started with her Intro to Procreate video and then fell down the rabbit hole from there.

In this video she shares a lot of great tips to get started on the app. Some of which I already knew from fooling around on the app already, but also many that were new to me. As well as some new ways to work things, and short cuts.

She touches on things like:

• versions of the iPad compatible with Procreate
  • compatible stylus pens/Pros to using Apple Pencil
  • pros to matte screen protectors/ creates a similar experience as pencil on paper
  •  uses of the app: lettering, illustration, animation, sketching
  • canvas templates/ pros to custom high-res canvases
    • high-res horizontal 5500 x 4000
    • high-res vertical 4000 x 5000
    • high-res square 5000 x 5000
  • Brushes
    • preinstalled
    • downloadable
    • creatable
  • Pinching with 2 fingers to zoom in and out
  • two finger taps on canvas to erase/ three finger tap to redo
  • eraser tool and it’s applications
  • how to use the colour picker in top right corner
    • quick select
    • pallets/ custom pallets
    • drag and fill

She went on to touch on many more of the apps capabilities and functions, which I’m not going to get into here. All in all it was a great into to Procreate, and I am excited to see what I can do with it.

I will be using her playlist of Procreate videos to help me on my inquiry journey.

screenshot of Bardot Brush’s Procreate playlist

Another video I found useful was:

This YouTuber is a calligrapher who used procreate to do lettering. His tips were more specific to his art, but I have often struggled with line work and lettering, so it was equally as helpful. There is a little cross over with his videos and Lisa Bardot’s. His playlist is also on my to-watch list if I decide to do any lettering in my inquiry process.